Saturday 23 March 2013

Kirtan, kircan, kircan't

Whilst in New York Momma B persuaded (forced) me to go a kirtan workshop with her.

(A little side note about my mother. She originally qualified as a social worker decades ago, but after she had my brother and I she decided to give up the social work. She thn set up her own company training people who work in the care sector, primarily with people with learning disabilities  Soon after she was made the Northern Ireland director of a large learning disability charity, had a great wage, all was good. Then for her 50th birthday she traveled to India on her own to attend a mediation retreat, came home and handed in her resignation on her well paid, respectable job and sank all her savings into setting up her own yoga and wellness centre.
She is a yoga and meditation teacher, a reiki master, teaches Art of Feminine workshops, organises psychic  nights and is inspirational. Also generally a big old hippy. I, on the other hand, am not. I never do yoga or meditation  so it was a big deal I went with her to this workshop.)
Momma B and I. Hideous photo- that girl in blue in the background totally photobombed us.



Anyway Kirtan is a form of call and response chanting, usually in the form of hymns in ancient Sanscript. The workshop was held Moshka Yoga Centre in downtown New York. This was a beautiful loft style space with candles and fairy lights everywhere. I picked a cosy, private spot over by the wall where I hoped no one would notice me. The lights dimmed and the performers began.
I was all set to make absolute no effort what so ever, fly under the radar and not really join in, but literally as soon as the first song started I was giving it stacks, clapping, singing along. Just making up my own words because I had no idea what we were meant to singing. I really, really enjoyed it (don't tell my mother she'll want me to go all the time when we get home)

Alright I wouldn't exactly have it blasting out in the car but it was very catchy at the time

There was one moment at the end where everyone one was lying on their backs listening to the performers when I realised that come next week I will be starting my proper grown up job. No more studying, no more summer breaks for two months. I will be a valuable member of society and honest to God I think I had a panic attack. I feel like for the past few years everything been on hold while I've studying but now I'm finished the rest of my life is beginning. It was a terrifying and liberating thought. This year I think there are gonna be some big changes to my life. And I can't wait!

S xx




No comments:

Post a Comment