Friday 28 June 2013

Night At The Movies: Behind The Candelabra review

Who doesn't like going to the movies? Meeting up with friends to gorge on chocolate and popcorn while getting lost in a different world. I personally love going to the cinema, if I was brave enough I would even go on my own. I'm just not quite confident enough yet.
I usually try to go to see a new movie at least once a month but, as always, life usually gets in the way so it has been a long, long time since I last went. Seeing as I'm off for two weeks and free as a bird I texted a couple of friends and arranged to go see Great Gatsby.
We showed up at Movie House on the Dublin Road with about fifteen minutes to spare and were greeted by a huge queue. On Tuesday nights Movie House have their Crazy Tuesday promotion where all tickets are £3. It's always been popular but I've never seen it as busy as this. As we ended up being too late to see Great Gatsby we just got tickets for the  next show that was available, Behind the Candelabra.




The story, based on the book by Scott Thorsen, tells the tale of Thorsen's relationship with the legendary pianist and performer Liberace. Directed by Steven Sodehiem this movie  follows their tempetuous relationship over six years, charting the highs and lows and it's eventual demise.
Before viewing this movie I knew nothing about Liberace. I vaguely knew he was a flamboyant performer who revelled in gaudy and OTT glamour but had no clue about any of his personal life or what he was actually famous for.

In fairness if I were as rich as he was I'd probably blow all my money on diamond rings and golden bath tubs too

I think this may have had impact on my feelings about the film, I found the main characters extremely unlikable! Usually the point of films is for the audience to really root for the protagonist but with Behind The Candelabra I couldn't help feeling that the two main characters seemed extremely selfish and manipulative. Whether this is what Liberace was like in real life I do not know but it's how it came across in the movie.

I do feel that the two lead actors, Micheal Douglas and Matt Damon, gave amazing performaces. Seeing as I  don't know what the real Liberace was actually like I can't comment on whether Douglas was able to accurately depict him. A special mention also has to go to Rob Lowe, with his turn as plastic surgeon to the star Dr Startz, who provided some real moments of comedy.

All in all a grand movie. Quite long and I wouldn't be rushing out to buy the DVD so I give it 3 stars! Also I highly recommend you do not see this movie with your parents, there are some scenes that would make for awkward viewing.

Jeez movie reviews are hard, I don't know if I'll make this a regular occurrence!

Let me know if you've seen any great (or not so great) movies recently

Love

S x

No comments:

Post a Comment