Sunday 28 April 2013

Meat feasts and Belfast punks

When  I first started this blog I originally intended to write about fashion, beauty and things to do in Belfast. But as I have still not been paid I haven't bought any new clothes or beauty products to blog about, and since starting the new job I have been so tired all the time I've turned in a bit of a hermit. Hence this blog has turned into a bit of random, free for all in terms of content.

But yesterday me and my good friend Siobhan decided to have a little date day. We really wanted to try a new restaurant in Belfast city centre called Bubbacue. It has been open for about six months and I have heard nothing but good reports so we thought we should suss it out for ourselves to see what all the fuss is about.

Well oh my God, it was amazing. Even thinking about it now I am drooling. The idea of Bubbacue is to serve slow roasted meats with traditional Deep South sides. It is definitely working, Siobhan and I arrived at about 2.30 and there was a queue out the door already. Bubbacue do not take table bookings so you just have to show up and hope for a seat. Luckily the queue moved pretty quickly and within about ten minutes we had ordered and were sitting waiting not too patiently.


Homemade lemonade and amazing sauces

I intended to ordered the BBQ chicken platter but the waitress informed me they had run out of chicken and it would be half an hour before anymore would be ready. My starving belly protested having to wait so I decided to go with the side of ribs with cornbread, coleslaw, mac and cheese and fries. I think my stomach may have be ruling my mind because it was obscene amount of food. 

Siobhan ordered the pulled pork platter with the same sides as me. After a short wait our food arrived and I'll let the picture speak for it's self.

Pretty sure that's an entire cow on my plate
It was absolutely beautiful. All the flavours really complemented each other and the meat was cooked to absolute perfection. Bubbacue have three homemade sauces to choose from. My favourite was the Memphis, a slightly sweet BBQ sauce that went really well with the ribs.

We stuffed our faces, Siobhan had to pop a button on her jeans and I had to take off my belt. After eating we had to go back to Siobhan's house so she could collect her glasses. We had cinema tickets for 7 o'clock so decided to chill out for a couple of hours at her house. We settled down to watch a couple of episodes of Community and both promptly feel asleep. I tell you this there nothing better than an afternoon nap after a big meal.

That evening we went to the cinema to see Good Vibrations a semi autobiographical movie based on the life of  'Belfast's Godfather or Punk' Mr Terri Hooley. Terri Hooley is the man who discovered the Undertones and was a tour de force in Belfast's underground punk scene during the Troubles.

I loved this movie, a lot of it was filmed in Belfast so I recognised some of the places. I was born slightly after the worst of the Troubles so it was very interesting to see how it was back then and how dangerous Belfast really was. I am happy to say we have definitely moved on quite a bit since then.

I highly, highly recommend this movie to everyone. A must see!

On that note I shall leave you all with sublime Undertone's classic Teenage Kicks





Ciao
S x




No comments:

Post a Comment